Parish Weekly Update -- October 18, 2019
Weekly Update -- October 18, 2019
Good morning everyone:
Today is the feast day of St. Luke, physician and Evangelist. St. Luke reminds us of the importance of living out the Gospel Message and doing it right where we are, in our own environments. Here are a few things to be aware of.
1. Mass with Anointing -- Today at Mass at 12:05 we will offer the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick. Since St. Luke was a physician himself we ask for his intercession for our sicknesses and we call upon Christ the Divine physician to help us in our ailments as well.
2. Respect Life Month -- There is a group around Starkville who goes to pray and minister to those seeking abortions in Jackson. Recently, they had someone they were able to reach out to and who is seeking a home for her child to be adopted into. If you would like to help or know someone who can, please reach out to us at the Parish Office or call Joshua Carroll at (662) 710-6363. As always, interest will remain anonymous.
3. St. Joseph Food Pantry -- The men and women who are helping with this incredible ministry have done an excellent job for several years now. But they are always looking for volunteers. If you are interested and have some time, here are the dates and times you could come by and help:
Setup for Bagging: Friday 10/25 @10:30
Bagging: Friday 10/25 @
Distribution: Saturday 10/26 @ 9:00
MFN Pickup: 10/16 & 10/30 Noonish
Please reach out to Joe Schmidt if you have any questions.
4. Choir Practice -- The 5:30 choir is practicing tonight in the church. The 9am Choir practices on Wednesday nights at 6pm and the 11:30 choir practices an hour before Mass. If you are interested in participating in any of these choirs please let us know.
5. Baptisms -- Congratulations to Erin and Kevin Raftery who baptized their son, Remy, two weeks ago and to Mary and Richard Sowers who's grandchild was baptized here at St. Joseph last weekend as well. Please keep them in prayer as they enjoy this new life in Christ.
6. Companions on the Journey -- Just a reminder that the men of the parish have a prayer group that meets on Tuesday's in the Parish center at 8am. Please join them any time, if you are interested.
7. Women's Prayer Group -- The women of the parish meet at 9am on Saturday's. Please come and join them if you have some spare time.
8. Adult Faith Formation -- St. Augustine's Confessions is the current topic. Gregg Twietmeyer is doing an excellent job leading these classes and the feedback has been very good. I think this is a little known treasure of our parish and I think it's an excellent opportunity to grow in your faith. Come by some time and drop in. Classes are going on during Religious Education between the Sunday Masses. This is a wonderful opportunity and I hope that many of you would consider becoming a part of this group.
Fr. Jason Johnston
on Friday, October 18, 2019 at 7:36AM